Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Green Cymbidium Orchids

I've been working on some cymbidium orchids for awhile now--since March!--and I haven't been able to get them to look like what is in my mind's eye. I finally found the perfect color of a yellowish green bead and redid the petals over again. I made them slightly larger this time, so each bloom is ~ 70 mm (almost 3 in) across. I had 7 blooms I formed into a flower spike and decided I need a couple of more blooms so I've made 3 more. Here's the progress:



The 3 additional blossomsOn another note, I've FINALLY finished the summer quarter of sampling on the saltpannes for work!! It has been fairly miserable--super hot and humid. This morning it was 90 degrees F without humidity counted in at 9 am; I think I went through 4 Gatorade bottles/hr. Needless to say I've been fairly sweaty and gross for the past 2 weeks : ).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gretchen,

I need to buy some of those orchids from you. I recently returned from a wedding were those were the featured flower. I thought that they would be a perfect anniversary gift to help them always remember the day. They look great!

Let me know,
Ryan McDuffee
ryan@southern-coast.com

Anonymous said...

Oh! How beautiful! The shading in the middle is gorgeous and the petals are really well-done! I love to look at your flowers. I would be interested at which price you will sell them to Ryan ... ;) Let bf group know! :))) How do you manage it that the stems are so long without creasing down?